THE LEW BORER JR. MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND CONSTITUTION ESTABLISHED: JANUARY 11, 1981 (As amended March 30,2008)
I. PURPOSE: To provide eligible applicants with scholastic aid.
II. DEFINITIONS: Children, for the purpose of this constitution, shall be understood to mean natural, adopted and stepchildren. (Excluded are brothers / sisters/ nieces / nephews / grandchildren)
III. AWARDS: Money that is granted to applicants for scholastic aid.
IV. FUNDING: Money collected through donations, contributions and/or money raising projects shall be defined as funds. It is further understood that no funds will ever be used as an award for scholastic aid. The funds will be invested in a manner that will return the best interest in the current money market. The manner in which the funds are invested shall be governed by the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation Board.
V. SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: The Scholarship Committee shall consist of five (5) members of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. in good standing to include: -President of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. -The current Scholarship Director of Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. -Three Presidents selected by the President and Scholarship Director of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. These 3 Presidents will be appointed at the October Presidents meeting. The appointed Presidents must not have an applicant in that years awards applicants. These presidents will vary each year.
A. The Scholarship Committee, at the discretion of the Board of Directors, can be dissolved and a new committee appointed.
B. The Scholarship Committee shall meet and make awards no later than the December Pres. meeting of each year.
C. Vacancies on the Scholarship Committee shall be filled by appointment by the President of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc.
D. The Committee, by majority vote, shall decide which applicants are eligible for scholastic aid.
E. It shall be the purpose of the Scholarship Committee to provide scholastic aid for a maximum of 5 (five) Scholarship grants each year within the guidelines set down in this Constitution.
VI. MINUTES OF SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: Minutes of all Scholarship Committee meetings shall be accurately kept, and a copy presented to the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. Board of Directors, at the annual Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. meeting in February of every year. The five names and awards shall be announced at the December’s Presidents meeting.
VII. ANNUAL FINANCIAL REPORT: An annual financial report of the Scholarship Fund shall be presented at the first Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. general meeting of each calendar year. Calendar year runs from October through the April meeting.
VIII. ELIGIBILITY: Those eligible to receive scholastic aid will be M.B.C.F. members, their spouses and children. The member dues to State, National and B.A.S.S. must be current at time of application and award.
IX. AWARD MONEY: Note: During the life of the Lew Borer Jr. Memorial Scholarship Fund, only accrued interest shall be used for scholastic awards. Additional General Funds maybe added by the MBCF board if necessary.
1. All awards must be made out to the student and the institution.
2. Awards shall be for one (1) year only. Students may apply for aid annually.
3. The Committee shall have sole responsibility for making awards.
4. Scholastic achievement of the applicant may be considered by the Scholarship Committee when determining the amount of an award.
5. Income will only be used to determine the size of the award in special cases.
6. Award money not used during the current year shall be deposited in a readily accessible savings account, and may be used, along with interest earned, as award money the following year.
X. ORDER OF PREFERENCE: Scholastic awards shall be granted in the following order of preference.
1. Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. members, their spouses or children, studying in the field of environment.
2. Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. members, their spouses or children, in any field other than environment.
XI. APPLICATIONS: Applications must be fully completed and postmarked no later than October 15. They must be sent to the current Scholarship Director of the Mi. Federation. Applications are welcome from graduating high school students and college students. Applications shall be made on forms provided by the Scholarship Committee and shall contain the following information. 1. Students name and address.
2 .Intended field of study.
3. Transcript of student's grades.
4. Parent’s income. (Income will be used only to determine size of award in special cases)
5. Parent's name, address, Club Name and Club B.A.S.S. #.
6. A short statement from the applicant on his/her goals in college and what he/she is striving to achieve. Goal letters will used in determining awards.
7. Applications must be POSTMARKED no later than the 15th of October in the year the award is to be given. No E-mails, faxes or hand delivery applications will be accepted.
8. Applicants will be notified by mail as to the committee decision no later than December 31st.
In the event the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. should be dissolved, all money remaining in the Scholarship Fund will be donated in the name of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. to the charity deemed most needy by the Board of Directors. This Constitution may be amended at any regular Presidents meeting of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. by a majority vote of the Chapter Presidents present.
All revisions as of 02/07/1999, 04/02/2000, 04/02/2006, 3/28/2007, 03/30/2008
Michigan B.A.S.S. Nation
Dedicated to Youth, Conservation, and Bass Anglers of Michigan
* Be sure to add your full name, contact information, and PLEASE include the subject in the "Subject Line" below...
Lew Borer, Jr. Memorial Scholarship