Michigan B.A.S.S. Nation
Dedicated to Youth, Conservation, and Bass Anglers of Michigan
By - Laws
MICHIGAN B.A.S.S. CHAPTER FEDERATION, INC.
The Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc., will be governed by a Board of Directors composed of twelve (12) members. The primary goal of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc., shall be to preserve the sport of bass fishing.
Furthermore, no person shall be denied membership on the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc., because of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, handicap, age, or sex.
The Board of Directors shall annually hold at least four (4) general Federation meetings each year to conduct the business of the Federation. Additional meetings may be called at the discretion of the President or by a majority vote of the Chapter Presidents at any regular meeting. The Board of Directors shall annually elect by secret ballot a Federation President, VicePresident, Secretary, and Treasurer of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. The President shall then appoint from the Federation membership, a Chairman of the Youth Activities Committee, a Chairman of the Environmental Committee, a Chairman of the Tournament Committee and any special committees as needed. The elections of officers shall be held no later than January 15, of each year.
A. Eligibility for Directors
1. Be a member in good standing of the Bass Anglers Sportsman Society of America, Inc., and a member in good standing of an active, affiliated Chapter of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc., for at least one (1) year prior to nomination.
2. No Chapter shall have more than two (2) members serving on the Board of Directors at any one time.
3. All Board of Directors are required to participate in 75% of Federation regular scheduled meetings. "Emergency" situations are excluded.
B. Term of Office
1. Directors Shall be elected for a three (3) year term of office.
2. Annual elections will be held to fill vacated positions.
3. Four (4) Directors will be elected to office each year.
1. The incumbent Board shall receive written nominations for the Director’s election from any active Chapter until July 1st of each year. The Board will present the list of nominees to the Secretary of each Chapter not later than August 1st of each year. Each Chapter should conduct an election at its next regular meeting. Only members of B.A.S.S. may vote in these elections. Each Chapter eligible to vote may submit one (1) vote per vacancy (example: if five (5) vacancies exist the Chapter may submit up to five (5) votes, with no more than one (1) vote per candidate.) The election shall be held, by secret ballot, at the regular general Federation meeting in October of each year. Only Chapter Presidents or delegates present may vote.
2. All votes shall be opened, read aloud, tallied and reported to the Chapter Presidents and delegates immediately. The Board shall determine, in advance, a commonly accepted method of breaking ties and shall have the sole responsibility for doing so.
3. All newly elected Directors shall assume office at the conclusion of the general meeting.
II. OFFICERS AND DUTIES
Preside over all meetings of the Board and general meetings of the Federation, direct all official business, supervise all Federation activities, appoint and be ex-officio member of all standing and special committees, be official representative of the Federation in relationship to other organizations, delegate such duties as may be appropriate to better serve the Federation, and maintain liaison with National B.A.S.S.
Assists the President upon request, presides in the absence of the President, assume the office of the President if it should be vacated. Shall attend National meetings if money is available.
Record accurate minutes of all meetings and be responsible for distribution of the minutes to all Chapters, call meeting of the Federation and/or Board of Directors as directed by the President.
Receive and disburse all monies upon approval of the Board. Maintain accurate financial records and present a current balance at each regular meeting. The Treasurer shall prepare and submit an annual budget to the membership at the end of each calendar year.
III. VACANCIES OR REMOVALS FROM OFFICE
A. Removal From Office Any Director may be removed from office, for just cause, by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Board.
B. Vacancy Of Office Vacancies shall be filled by a majority vote of the Chapters present at the next regular or specially called meeting of the Federation. The Vice-President or some other Director shall assume the duties of the vacant office until a successor is elected.
A. Each member in the Federation shall pay annual dues per member to the Federation Membership Director, made payable to the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. The amount of the dues will be determined by the membership present at each October President’s meeting. If dues are not paid by the December Presidents meeting there will be a five (5) dollar late charge per each late existing member.
B. Chapters not paying dues will lose all voting rights in Federation business, eligibility for the State Championship that year, and eligibility for all other Federation activities.
V. CONDUCTING GENERAL FEDERATION MEETINGS
A. Robert’s Rules Of Order will be followed.
B. Any affiliated Chapter having voting rights may place motions before the membership.
C. All eligible Chapter Presidents or their designees, and all Directors, with the exception of the Federation President, shall vote on all matters before the membership. The Federation President will vote only in case of a tie.
VI. CONDUCTING BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETINGS
A. The Board shall retain powers necessary for the efficient conductance of the Federations business when no General Meeting is in progress.
B. All Directors present will be entitled to vote on all matters requiring vote before the Board, the President votes only to break a tie. A quorum must be present to vote on all matters requiring a vote. A quorum shall consist of a majority of the Board membership.
VII. PROVIDING FOR AMENDMENT OF BY-LAWS
A. Amendments may be proposed by any Board member or Chapter having voting rights at any regular or specially called meeting.
B. All Directors and active Chapters will be notified of proposed amendment changes at least thirty (30) days prior to a vote of final approval.
C. The notice of the proposed amendment shall cite the date, time, and location of the meeting where the final vote will be held.
D. A two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of those eligible voters present is required for passage of an amendment.
E. Any proposed change of the by-laws, whether enacted or not, may not be brought up for another proposal for a period of 12 months.
VIII. SELECTION OF FEDERATION ACTIVITIES
The Board of Directors is empowered to select annually, the Federation tournament sites and dates, and shall present this schedule to the membership at the last General Meeting of the year.
Membership in the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. Shall be open to members of Bass Anglers Sportsman Society and meet one (1)of the following requirements:
A. Join an existing affiliated Chapter located in the State of Michigan
B. Form a new Chapter , which in turn, meets the requirements of Bass Anglers Sportsman Society, and the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation Inc.
C. Apply for membership emeritus, which does not require a Chapter affiliation. Membership emeritus shall be rewarded by the Board of Directors for past noteworthy contributions of time and effort that resulted in significant progress and achievement by the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation Inc. Membership emeritus carries all the rights and privileges of regular membership, except the right to vote. It shall be awarded for life, and does not require any dues payment. Application shall be made on behalf of a deserving person by any affiliated Chapter.
X. WILL CODICIL
Use of Revenue: All funds and assets of the Michigan Bass Federation shall be used only for purposes that are consistent with the purposes of the Federation and for actual administrative expenses in conducting the affairs of the Federation under the direction and with the approval of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors may purchase land, building and equipment and operate and maintain the same as required to further the purpose of the Federation. Dissolution: Upon dissolution of the Michigan Bass Federation and after paying for payment of all liabilities of the Federation, all remaining assets of the Federation shall be transferred to (another non-profit or local unit of government). Use of Revenue for lawful purpose: Revenues of the Michigan Bass Federation shall not be used for the benefit of any individual, member or shareholder of the qualified organization except to further the lawful purposes of the Federation.
XI. CODE OF CONDUCT ANGLER CODE OF CONDUCT
Anglers, spouses, Junior Anglers and/or parents of Junior Anglers participating in any Michigan B.A.S.S. or B.A.S.S sanctioned event or representing themselves as a member of the Federation shall observe this code of conduct and the applicable rules for the event in which they are participating. Anglers, Junior Anglers and/or parents of Junior Anglers shall, at all times, conduct themselves in a manner becoming of these basic sporting principles and in a manner that will not reflect unfavorably on Michigan B.A.S.S. or B.A.S.S its members, officers or representatives, tournaments or sponsors. To this end, anglers shall use their best efforts to demonstrate sportsmanship, character and integrity in support of the sport of bass fishing. Any Angler, spouse, Junior Angler and/or parent of Junior Anglers, who violate any of the provisions of the Angler Code of Conduct, may be subject to forfeiture of tournament winnings, suspension from competing in Michigan B.A.S.S. sanctioned events for a period of time up to but not limited to removal from the Michigan B.A.S.S. Federation Nation.
MEDIA COMMENTS, PUBLIC ATTACKS
The favorable public reputation of Michigan B.A.S.S. or B.A.S.S as a sanctioning organization in the sport of fishing, the integrity of its officials, and the reputation of its media properties are valuable assets and tangible benefits for Michigan B.A.S.S. and B.A.S.S. Accordingly, it is an obligation of members and competitors and/or parents of junior competitors, to refrain from comments to the news media, or any public forum that unreasonably attack or disparage the integrity of tournaments, tournament officials, sponsors, fellow members, fellow anglers or the Michigan B.A.S.S. or National B.A.S.S. organization. Competitors and/or parents of junior competitors are encouraged to express themselves and have the right to question the rules officials. Responsible expressions of legitimate disagreement with Michigan BASS or BASS policies are encouraged as opposed to attacks upon the integrity of the rules or officials. However, public comments that an angler knows, or should reasonably know, will harm the reputation of Michigan B.A.S.S.or B.A.S.S. B.A.S.S officials or sponsors shall be considered conduct unbecoming a Michigan B.A.S.S. Federation member and may result in disciplinary action.
1. The State Federation Classic Series Tournaments will have a "classic" tournament of the top 24 qualifiers in point standings and the previous year’s winner. No alternates. The Classic will be announced in the spring of the year.
2. A Chapter may schedule club tournaments or activities but MAY NOT schedule an OPEN tournament on the same date as a regular Federation Tournament, State Championship, or the B.A.S.S. Regional Tournament, unless such activity is held in conjunction with the Federation activity. All such dates will be made public at the February Presidents meeting.
3. A Chapter forfeits its rights to participate in the next State Championship if its President or designee does not attend at least fifty percent (50%) of the regular Federation meetings scheduled on or after October 1st of the year preceding the State Championship and up to the State Championship. New Chapters must attend fifty (50%) of the regular Federation meetings scheduled after the first attempt to present the Chapter its charter at a regularly scheduled Federation meeting.
4. The State Championship "off limits" will be established by the Board of Directors prior to each State Championship tournament to permit adjustments as needed.
5. A Chapter must appear on the Federation roster the current year to be eligible for the State Championship.
6. Directors will be reimbursed for the following expenses: Phone, Mileage (at the current IRS rate), Lodging, Postage, and Itemized Miscellaneous Expenses that are approved by the Board.
7. Those clubs and/or individuals who have not fulfilled their obligation to National B.A.S.S. will be eliminated from the membership of the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation, Inc. and will forfeit their dues paid.
REVISED 10/29/95 section VII, paragraph B. DLB
REVISED 12/14/96 section VII, paragraph E. DLB
REVISED 02/07/99 Standing Rule #2. DLB
REVISED 04/02/00 section VIIII, paragraph B. DLB
REVISED 10/29/00 Standing Rule # 6. DLB
REVISED 10/29/00 section II, paragraphs A and B..DLB
REVISED 11/17/2010 Section XI added